Okay, I’m back with more on the living room makeover… for a refresher, this is what we were dealing with…
We ditched the couch set on Craig’s List for way less than what they’re worth. There are a surplus of couches on Craig’s List. We had to keep lowering the price until we got some bites. That hurt a little, but we were beyond ready to part with these out-of-date hand-me-downs.
Once they were gone, we brought in the couch and bar we had in our family room:
The ottoman stayed and gets to hang with our new couch that I’ll reveal in a later post… but here she is in progress:
And here’s a sneak peek… and a gratuitous Bulldog shot (love getting those in when I can!)…
Anywho, back to the living room. With re-arranged furniture, the other – most OBVIOUS – thing we desperately needed to do was paint… which we did and I already described in great detail – so I’ll save you that story again.
Looking down on the living room from the stairs… here’s a brief description of what we currently have…
- Bar – from Crate & Barrel, but we scored for 60% off retail on Craig’s List
- Bench – saved from our neighbor’s curb on bulk trash day and DIY-reupholstered. (We’ve had it forever and I blogged about years ago – literally.)
- Couch – already had – it was another hand-me-down. (We reap the benefit of my parents upgrading their furniture every few years!)
- End table – I hate and will be getting rid of… but we found it at a consignment store.
- Rocking horse – Jason’s dad made it for him when he was a baby and brought it out for Kenton. I don’t want it to get destroyed, so it sits in the living room.
- Blue chairs – from West Elm. We scored an incredible deal on those babies the day after Christmas.
- Coffee table – we’ve had it for a while, but I don’t think I ever blogged about it. It was a floor sample at Pottery Barn, which retailed for $599, but we scored for $159. Nice, huh?!
- The rug – the circle rug, also from West Elm. We snagged it for cheap on eBay though.
Here are some close-ups….
The giraffe on the bar was a treat my parents brought back from a recent trip to Kenya. The wine corks in the jars are something we’ve been collecting for YEARS. (Or they’re from last weekend??? You decide.)
Why, yes, that is temporary wine storage under the bench! Nice eye.
There’s the dining room. If you’ve been reading the blog for a while, you may remember that table in the kitchen. I wanted a more eclectic dining room set, but we already had this one – so it’s sits there for now.
Nestled on this little wall between the family room and the stairs is our buffet – and an original painting by my mom. It’s of the Tour de France and was a gift for Jason – who is a cycling enthusiast. The buffet used to sit in the dining room, but doesn’t quite fit with the current table – so now it’s here, which actually works.
The buffet is the Kipling from Crate & Barrel. It retails for $699, but we paid $75 at a charity auction. I KNOW.
So, there she is… a bit more about what’s in our living room…
We still need to do a few things…
- Popcorn ceilings. UGH.
- Replace the Eiffel Tower photo with an original painting, which my mom will do.
- Find something for the entry wall.
- Area rugs in both rooms
- Better pillows
- Window coverings! (That will be next…)